Saturday, April 18, 2009

More news....finally

A lot has happened since the last post...My count was at three for many weeks and we thought I would have to have my chemo changed. That was not the case however.

Thursday: I went to an appointment at the oncologist and found out that my count was actually down to two. Yea two. After lots of discussion between Dr.'s they decided that my baseline number would be two. Which means that they pretty much were counting two as zero. Also they were planning only one more chemo round for good.

I also went into the oncologist fighting a fever since Monday and having a (yet another) nasty cold. Plus fighting blackouts and being dizzy when standing. So after some blood cultures I found (once we got back home ) that I would need another blood transfusion pretty fast. My hemogloban number was 6.8 and normally they start to consider giving blood at 8.2ish, so needless to say I needed some blood, the problem was I was considered symptomatic and I needed to go to the hospital to have a private room, no rooms were currently available. So we had to wait. Later that afternoon we got a call and we headed to Butterworth.

Thursday evening I got two units of blood and some magnesium again and that made me feel only a little better because my cold was so bad. I continually was fighting a fever and that lovely freezing to burning instantly phenomenon. I originally was only suppose to stay in the hospital over night for the blood, but that was no longer the case.

Friday: Nothing spectacular happened I was still fighting fevers and now I wasn't keeping any food down. We were waiting on the results of chest x-ray to see what was going on. The doc finally ordered some antibiotics, but that takes hours to finally make it to the patient, so I was still in bad shape.

Saturday: I am not sure how much of the following happened in the middle of the night or not, it gets a bit foggy after awhile. :) I found out that the chest x-ray revealed that I have pneumonia, not to fun. So I am here at least until my fevers are gone and I can keep food down, the antibiotic I currently am on can be transferred to pill form to go home.

I also found out my beta count actually went to zero if not negative numbers. THANK THE LORD and thanks to all you for praying all the time GOD IS GOOD ALL THE TIME!
I still have one round of chemo to finish and timing of that will depend on my health and condition ( it currently is suppose to start Monday but might be delayed a week). Then hopefully this will start to be behind us and I can start the long road to recovery and hair growth. :)

I will try to keep you all updated in the next few days with changes. thanks

3 comments:

Jillia said...

I'm sorry you're feeling so sick. If there are movies or something I can bring up to the hospital or to your house, or anything else to maybe make you more comfortable, just let me know. I am so thrilled that your count is down to zero. God is amazing!! I will be out of student teaching in 2 weeks, and will be ready to help after that. I was so happy to see Talin and Annabelle tonight.

Jacki said...

I too am sorry to hear you have not been feeling well!!! But what wonderful news that your numbers went to zero!!! God is Great!!!

Always thinking of you!
Jason, Jacki & Katelyn Rigterink

MBush said...

WOW!!! So excited to hear the big ZERO!! What an amazing answer to prayer. Sorry to hear you aren't feeling the best, but hopefully that will change very quickly. Please let us know what we can do for you...until we hear from you, we'll continue to pray. Here's to one more round of chemo, just in time to gear up for summer!!